Clear all

Net64

7 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@commodoremo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Color64 offers Net64 to network with other BBS's. Has anyone been successful in setting it up and getting it to work over Telnet?

(@desert-fox)
Member Admin

I worked on it a bit a long while ago. I didn't get it working. The problem I had was when I wanted to put in a Telnet address for a NODE (using the old phone number section for the nodes) it wouldn't let me put in a period for the address.

For the life of me I could not figure out why it would not accept the period or where I could find why it was blocked and alter it. I would love to get it working. I have everything here on my desk...(somewhere).

ReplyQuote
(@desert-fox)
Member Admin

I remember back when we were messing with Network 64 and we got into a discussion of the pros and cons of networking. Most of the sysops who were running Color 64 at the time were not in favor of setting up a network. The reasoning was that there is/was not a high volume of traffic like back in the day, so if you put up a network a person could log onto one board and read all the messages from the other sites and not have to call around. But that is no exactly how it works. Not EVERY message base is Networked. You can set up certain bases to be networked and send private mail etc. If I remember right from when I had network 64 running (long, long ago) you could transfer files but back then it was not done much because of the LD charges.

ReplyQuote
(@commodoremo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

There are many pros and cons. For me, more of a challenge to get it working than anything. I attempted to setup Centipede with Net64. Ran into same problem with telephone number length and special characters. I think I got that fixed. What I need to do it setup a second test BBS just to try out networking between two Centipede systems and work out any other kinks. Then can see if can dig into and see if can get Color64 modded to work as well. Code is similar in a lot of ways between the two.

Big pro now is that there are no LD charges for any of the network traffic.

Will let you know what I discover.

ReplyQuote
(@havok)
Sysop Admin

Doesn't Centipede have its own Net mode? 

ReplyQuote
(@commodoremo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It supports both Comlink and Net64.

Comlink was a centralized network available only to Centipede BBS's. All nodes would call into a main hub.  The main hub would take care of all filtering, distribution, and required maintenance.

Good thing, it was a central hub that all Centipede BBS's could subscribe to and be a part of the network. No noise that gets distributed everywhere. Anything deemed inappropriate would get filtered out.  Ok, that is subjective.....

Bad thing, it was a central hub controlled by one single BBS and SysOp.

The author of Centipede BBS, Adam Fanello, is the person who ran and controlled the main hub. When his hard drive crashed, the main hub was lost. It was same time all development for Centipede BBS software stopped. He lost everything. He released everything into the public domain. Adam was only person with the code for the Comlink main hub was my understanding.

][avok reacted
ReplyQuote
(@havok)
Sysop Admin

That stinks. Sounds just like Tim Wisseman and VGA Planets all over again.

ReplyQuote
Share: