Clear all

Wifi Modem and Color64

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@commodoremo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wondering, I've been playing around trying to setup a Color64 using a Wifi modem. Just can't get it to work. Has anyone had any success?  Have not has problem with RS232/Null Modem/BBS Server. Just can't seem to get a use port Wifi modem configured.

-Mo

(@desert-fox)
Member Admin

I have not but then I haven't done a bunch of testing. I have a Strike Link and an early version of a Commodore4ever WiFi modem. I use a similar setup like you mentioned... a VIC 1011A RS232, Null modem cable and BBS server. I seem to remember early on, reading that the early modems were great for calling out but did not work well for receiving traffic. Maybe there is updated firmware.  Mo, didn't you mention something earlier to me on The Oasis BBS about you had upgraded the firmware with 'Zimodem'? What is it? Inquiring minds need to know!!!

ReplyQuote
(@commodoremo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have 2 of the C4Ever modems that I wanted to see if it they worked with Centipede BBS. He used a very slightly modified version of the Strike Link firmware. When I first started playing around with it, just like you experienced, it did great for calling out but not for receiving. Also the command to change incoming Port address did not work. I did email him to see if was something I was doing wrong, but response was it is a known issue and did not have a solution.

Seeing that it used hardware that was compatible with Zimodem firmware, I followed the steps noted on Bo Zimmerman's GitHub site and was able to flash both of the C4Ever modems.  I had to plug them into the PC via USB and use the Arduino IDE software. After flashing both modems, now whenever there is a Zimodem update, I can update them using the AT&U6502 command.

https://github.com/bozimmerman/Zimodem

Oh, and yes, the modems with Zimodem firmware do work fine with Centipede BBS software. Not using them as they are limited to 2400bps when used with a C128.

][avok reacted
ReplyQuote
(@havok)
Sysop Admin

That's pretty cool!

ReplyQuote
(@desert-fox)
Member Admin

Unfortunately no matter what modem I use with Color 64 v7.3x, I am damned....sorry limited to 2400 baud by virtue of the ML for that version. I would move to Color 64 v8.x in a minute if I could use my Ltk with it AND make use of my SWIFTLINK cart at the same time. From what I have read in the v8 documentation the setup allows one or the other.

If you choose SWIFTLINK, it does not ask you any questions concerning the setup of the Ltk. If you pick the Ltk, it does not ask you anything about the SWIFTLINK...I am doomed to 2400 baud it would seem.

ReplyQuote
Share: